The Date

(After this and this, I know readers aren't gonna take whatever I say at face value. But this incident is REAL. Honest! I was meeting a REAL girl, face-to-face, in flesh and blood.)

So I arrived on the day we had set, at the place we had picked (both of which will remain unspecified), a little before the time we had fixed. The nervous wait seemed interminable, my anxiety just kept increasing. The anticipation of meeting her for the first time was unnerving. I was in my best attire, carefully picked out for this occasion, well groomed and eager to make a good first impression.

As I waited for her outside, (let me call her Miss J) I began thinking of all the topics we could talk about. Should I talk about my love of books, or my amateurish attempts at sketching? Or would she be a sports buff with whom I could discuss the latest football match? Academics? (naaah!) Politics? (only if she’s into it) Art, culture? (great!) Business? (I hope not) After running through all the topics I could think of, I decided that going in with any sort of preconceived ideas would only make things worse. It would be best just to go with the flow, and I hoped as we went along, things would get interesting.

I would also get to ask her questions, of course, and I would. But I knew that it wouldn’t make much of a difference to my opinion of her. She would have to be extremely unpleasant or extremely rude for me to not want to see her again. As far as I was concerned, the ball was in her court. I know that sounds a bit pathetic and I guess it is. But since the last few dates hadn’t gone as well as I had hoped, and for a variety of reasons, they never went beyond the first encounter, I guess I can be forgiven for expecting little this time around as well.

Frankly, there was too much informational asymmetry in this situation to allow me to be comfortable. I mean she knew so much more about me than I did about her. She had seen my photo, and she had read stuff I had written about my life, and she knew all about my passions and interests (the negative side-effect of writing everything about your life for public viewing). The only consolation was that it was her idea that we meet and it was she who suggested the time and place, so at least there was something in all that she knew about me that interested her. I, on the other hand, knew very little about her. But such is life, sometimes you just have to put yourself out there, and take the risk of meeting some complete stranger, and see what happens. It could end in a few minutes when both of you realize it isn’t gonna work out, or it could end up changing your entire life. You just have to keep swinging the bat if you ever want to score.

So, we met, we chatted, we laughed, we bid goodbye. (You don’t actually expect me to divulge the details here, do you?)

I thought it went really well at least from my end, though one can never be certain about such things. We talked about a lot of interesting things; I had something to say on most topics, and I listened intently whenever she spoke. Personally, I take a long time to judge people, and my first impressions are too often completely inaccurate. So, I, as a rule, prefer to keep an open mind, and not be drawn into forming opinions too quickly. I somehow got the feeling that she was sometimes not as involved in the conversation as I was, a bit too cold and analytical, perhaps a bit too quick to form her opinions.

As we parted, she said she would get in touch with me, and I decided that I would wait for her to give me some kind of a signal that she found me interesting. If I didn’t hear from her again, it would hurt, but only a little, and only for a short while. Only till my next date. Having had a previous few experiences like this, it had made me philosophical about the situation. I didn’t treat it as a rejection at all. I thought of it as a non-fit. Our personalities didn’t match and there isn’t anything that was needed to be done about it. It was as simple as that. Personally, I wasn’t enamored enough with her to mourn if this didn't lead to anything. It could lead to something, or it might be just another forgotten memory. There were many more others, some just as good, some much better.

As it turned out, it didn’t lead to anything. She released a list of guys for the next round, and I wasn’t among them. She was an HR manager. Her name was Miss Judgment, and that’s exactly what she did.

Comments

  1. Dude, really, u've got to stop doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just can't get enough of it. I can see the TRP of this blog suffering already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. u got me again :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. @all: Yes, I think I better stop.. I'm getting hate-pings! :| Though there was a point to this other than the twist. This meant as a criticism of the interview process that we all have to suffer through. Hope that view isn't lost in the plot twist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha stumbled across ur blog a couple weeks ago. Read ur post on falling on love (to which I could totally relate) and it had me in stitches. I got sucked into this one too... brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @WIP: Welcome! Glad to know it worked (and nice of you to admit it!) :P I couldn't read your blog of course, but do keep visiting and commenting here..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm out of here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. HR's are fun to chat with outside work :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Abhishek: Hehe.. What are you doing reading this reply? :P

    @Ajith: Hmm.. I sense a hidden story here ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mate, now its getting predictable even for me... entertaining no doubt... but think of some other stuff to write about as well... It seems your TRPs are suffering!... lol.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nicely written but a bit predictable as this is the third time you are doing the same in less than an year.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cudn't digest u going on multiple dates.. hence HAD to jump to the last line ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. brilliant.... whats with you and fake romances?

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Farah & Nikhil: You can predict something's up, but I wonder if you could also predict what it was gonna turn out to be.

    @Gunner: You spoiled the fun for yourself. :P

    @Harshad: Thanks.. You don't expect me to write about my real romances on public blogs now, do you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I liked it.
    Whatever I expected (believe me you don't want to know!!!), I sure didn't see the HR Manager coming... :P

    ReplyDelete
  16. kamine!!! i feel like the sardar who slipped twice on the same peel.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Divinite: Now you've got me curious!

    @pankaj: Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story: Puppy Love

Short Story: 'The Psychopath'

The Principle of Minimum Regret