The Lone Star


I love the fact that right now I can see a single star from where I lie in my bed. I sleep with my balcony open, and beyond the grass, I can see a patch of sky, and in it, there is a solitary star. Its bright light flickers in rapidly changing colors (this isn't an exaggeration, if you've observed stars, you'll know that several appear to do this) and I reckon it'll be visible to me for an hour more, before it disappears out of my view.

I wonder if that star is lonely. It must be, being so distant from even those closest to it. Countless stars all around it, but none is actually close. And is it also lonesome? Does it not yearn for company, trying as it does, to pull everyone closer to it with its gravity? Why has everyone gone away? Or has it sucked in too close, everyone it held dear, till they got burnt in its blazing love? If it did, then I'm sure it didn't mean them any harm, for it has always tried its best to spread all the light it has, burning brightly and expending all its energy. It has made up its mind to continue doing so, till it meets its violent end. It goes around on its destined path, moving with others, but never one among them. Is there anyone around to notice it? Does anyone even care?

I do. At least today, at least right now.


These lyrics of the song 'Star' by Bryan Adams, capture my mood perfectly:

Everybody wants an answer - everybody needs a friend
We all need a shining star on which we can depend
So tonight we're gonna wish upon a star
We never wished upon before

There'll be times in your life
When you'll be dancin in shit, but you ain't gettin it
But don't get disillusioned - no, don't expect too much
Cuz if what you have is all you can get - just keep on
Tryin - it just ain't happened yet

Everybody wants to be winner - everybody has a dream
We all need a shining star when things ain't what they seem
So tonight we're gonna wish upon a star
We never wished upon before

Everybody wants some kindness - everybody needs a break
We all need a shining star when things get hard to take
So tonight we're gonna wish upon a star
We never wished upon before

Comments

  1. If other stars do not come close to that lone star...then the other stars are not just worth being there...or it can also be that...the lone star is blind enough to just look around for a certain group of stars...after all the there is a world beyond the galaxy...and there is a world beyond multitudes of galaxy...that's why universe is so interesting....you just can miss out on some special stars...while looking for stars in front of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anon: True. But if some stars wish to remain hidden, what can be done, except to wait for them to reveal themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything went above my head... the purpose of this was??

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


    Joannah

    http://easypowerpaint.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our lives are like the stars. We keep traversing the unknown, sometimes knowing the destination, but ofttimes just moving on so that we might ultimately reach somewhere. In this journey we are at large alone for each is destined to its own fate. But yes it is true that overlapping the paths with some kindred souls doesn't hurt much. We view the world as an extension of our inner selves and thus attribute the cause and effect to our already formed conceptions and models, which we use as a yardstick to evaluate our surroundings. But the other stars are not as predictable and the best intentions of the lone star are either not understood in their true light or they are ignored for the lack of sensitivity. It is not for the star to wish that anyone else should care, and it should not bother at all. The goal of the star lies in fulfilling its destiny and nothing else should pleasure more than to realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're the one keeping the lone star company and vice versa :) I can just about imagine how nice the night sky must look right before you sleep.

    Yours is a very interesting blog btw. I'm adding you to my roll.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Farah: No purpose. Just some reflections..

    @Taru: Thanks..

    @Maverick: Yes. I'm sure the star has gotten used to being alone, and maybe even prefers being that way.

    @Shivya: Yup, but it was only a temporary companionship. And thanks for the blog roll addition! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The stars will reveal once u stop looking for the companion ship of some "stars" which are not worth being around....Just ignoring them would help...to improve visibility....

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Anon: Too much informational asymmetry here. Without knowing who you are, or whom you're talking about, I don't think there's anything for me to do.

    (If this is a prank, then I hope you find your own stupidity amusing. I don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You need not worry thinking about who I am, but then you just need to think on what I have said. Forget the past and move ahead.Will help to write about a solar system,than a lone star

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Anon: You're right. One must remember the good, and forget the bad, from one's past. I do think I do that to a large extent.

    Do keep visiting and commenting on the blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. very well written.. it actually sets you thinking.. whether people go away from you because you dont hold onto them strong enough or whether you overbear them with your love.. strange..

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Sanjana: Yes, it's a fine balance. Caring too little or trying too hard. :|

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story: Puppy Love

Short Story: 'The Psychopath'

The Principle of Minimum Regret