Konungariket Sverige

What do IKEA, Ericsson, Volvo, Bjon Borg, the Vikings, ABBA, Alfred Nobel & Ibrahmovic have in common? Yes, you guessed right, they're all Swedes.

Sweden (officially the Kingdom of Sweden, Konungariket Sverige) is a Nordic country on the Scandinavian Peninsula in Northern Europe. Sweden has land borders with Norway to the west and Finland to the northeast, and it is connected to Denmark by the Oresun Bridge in the south. At 450,000 km², Sweden is the third largest country in the European Union. With a total population of over 9.2 million Sweden has a low population density of 20 people per km² (52 per square mile), but is much higher in southern half of the country. About 85% of the population live in urban areas.



Sweden's capital is Stockholm, which is also the largest city in the country (population of 1.3 million in the urban area and with 2 million in the metropolitan area). The second and third largest cities are Gothenburg and Malmo.

Stockholm

Sweden is a constitutional monarchy with a parliamentary system of government and a highly developed economy. It ranks first in the world in The Economist's Democracy Index and 7th in the United Nation's Human Development Index. Sweden has been a member of the European Union since 1 January 1995.

Some of the sites in Sweden:





Why this post?

By now you're wondering why I've gone into National Geographic mode and am describing random stuff of a far flung country. The fact is that I've been selected for a foreign exchange program at IIMK, and will be spending my 5th term (late Aug to Nov) in the Jonkoping International Business School (JIBS). The homepage of the school is here.



I'm really happy and quite excited about the impending adventure. Especially since I've wanted to visit Europe for quite a while now.

Wise men advise equanimity in the face of both pain and joy, but I personally have never subscribed to that view. I can't help holding onto pain for longer than I should, and so, I guess I also ought to savor any happiness that comes my way. I'm unabashedly and unapologetically pleased about this.

I expect to get a whole new perspective on many things (life, work, career, relationships etc.) and will hope this trip to Europe is also a journey of self-discovery. Its been a long while since I've been in the company of hope, but now that I've had an unexpected encounter with it, I plan to indulge in it to the fullest.

Comments

  1. Yay! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you should be excited, I mean why shouldn't you be. Why should anybody hold back excitement. There is nothing to be abashed of.
    I m also excited that at the end of it I'll get to have some Swedish goodies[hopefully, wot say :)].

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shivpriya: Thanks :)

    @Maverick: Sure, you'll definitely get some pics of me in Sweden!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats Jaaan... ! I can see the excitement in you by the amount of study on Sweden you have already done !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey man, Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The world's your oyster... go have fun... and I'll be waiting for the goodies as well... I checked out the AUD to Kronas conversion and it was good!... that's my research for you... It is one of the most expensive European countries...so start saving up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Dhruv: Thanks! :) and this post is just copy-pasted from wiki.. a lot more research yet to be done..

    @Gandhi: Thanks dude! :)

    @Farah: How can I save when I don't have an income yet? :P

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Short Story: Puppy Love

Short Story: 'The Psychopath'

The Principle of Minimum Regret